Test Drive a Business and Marketing Course!
Which pathways are offered?
- General Management—This pathway prepares students to lead and manage others, improve processes and policies, and manage a range of personnel issues and concerns while focusing on the bottom line.
- Administrative Support—This pathway prepares students to facilitate business operations through a variety of administrative and clerical duties including information and communication management, data processing and collection, and project tracking.
- Accounting—This pathway prepares students for careers that record, classify, summarize, analyze, and communicate a business’s financial information and transactions for use in management decision-making. Accounting can include bookkeeping, systems design, analysis, and interpretation of accounting information.
- Entrepreneurship—This pathway prepares students to formulate policies and direct the operations of business, corporation, nonprofit, or other organization. In small firms, this may involve assuming advertising, promotions, marketing, sales, and public relations responsibilities.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Art/Graphics Director
- Benefits Specialist
- Bill and Account Collector
- Business Consultant
- Customer Service Representative
- Human Resources Manager
- Promotions Manager
- Public Relations Manager
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job, experience, and location but approximate sample salaries include:
- Administrative Assistant—$38,880/year
- Benefits Specialist—$63,000/year
- Bill and Account Collector—$36,020/year
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 12, 2019. Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school.
Which industry-recognized certification exams can my student prepare for?†
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Business Information Processing Exam
- The NOCTI General Management Exam
- The NOCTI Accounting, Basic and Advanced
- Certiport Entrepreneurship and Small Business Marketing Certificate
- A*S*K Business Institute Entrepreneurship/Management Exam
- A*S*K Fundamental Business Concepts Exam
- Microsoft Office certifications (up to four, each attainable in one semester)
†Many Microsoft® Office certificates can be earned after completing one course. Other certificates require more classes to be better prepared, and students who attend Destinations for at least two years in their desired pathway will have enough exposure to career readiness education courses to be best prepared for certification testing.